December 5, 2012

Finals Madness, Post-NaNo, etc.

So I thought I was going to do a big NaNo recap and start blogging again and write up all those book reviews I've been thinking about writing...

...and then finals hit me. Apparently there are THINGS to be done in graduate school, and they involve something more than making up critical theorist Ryan Gosling memes on Facebook. I have six final papers due in the next twelve days. The math says that I will be reading/writing/thinking like a madman for the next two(ish) weeks. So the dusting-off-of-the-blog will have to wait.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with these:

1. NaNo: I "won," if by winning you mean writing 50,000 words, split semi-evenly across two stories. While it's a far cry from the 100,000 I was aiming for, I think we'd all agree that 50,000 is impressive in between work and school and figuring out how to handle impromptu snowstorms. The good news is that I now have two viable projects that I would actually consider developing further. I consider that a success.

2. So far I honestly haven't been that impressed by the new fall TV...unless you count Stephen Arnell's ridiculous abs on Arrow. Also, NASHVILLE. You guys should all go watch it right now because I will not be able to accept its cancellation. Favorite returning show? Definitely The Good Wife, although the whole Kalinda/Nick storyline was getting old. It's a good thing they seem to have wrapped that up (for the time being)... I'm also a huge fan of how the Beckett/Castle storyline is playing out in Castle. They haven't screwed it up yet! Color me thrilled!

3. Literary podcasts: My latest interest is Literary Disco, which I heard about through the excellent Ann and Michael at Books on the Nightstand. I've really enjoyed a number of their shows, although I do get bugged from time to time by the fact that they're sometimes slightly literary-snobbish (by which I mean they tend to be snooty about YA). But if you're into general fiction, it's a good show to check out.

Happy December, guys. Hopefully I will join you once again after the semester has ended, provided it hasn't chewed me up beyond all repair. Now, please excuse me while I bury my head in more literary criticism.

0 comments:

Post a Comment