October 30, 2012

Nashville

I would be lying if I didn't say that Nashville is my favorite new TV show this season. I'm trying out several (and several have already been cut from my viewing list, most brutally The Mob Doctor after only three minutes of screen-time), but Nashville is the only new show I actually look forward to every week.

What's so special about this show? How about what isn't?

Just kidding. Not everything can be perfect, but who can say no to Connie Britton? I was a late adopter of Friday Night Lights (only finished the series a few weeks ago), but I was heartbroken when I got to the end and there was no more Coach and Tami Taylor, no more Matt and Julie, no more disgustingly gorgeous Tim Riggins... I could go on, but this post is not supposed to be about Friday Night Lights. Moving on...

I'm not really into country music. Nothing against it, it's just not really my style. But damn it if I'm not over the moon about the music on this show. First off, the actors are actually singing, which is great. While not everyone is spectacular, at least they're all competent, and that goes a long way. I don't have every song, but the ones I do have play on repeat pretty much everywhere I go. I sing along and pretend that I too am a suddenly up-and-coming country music star. (For some reason I'm also finding several songs really evocative, in a "I want to write a story around this" kind of way.)

Second, the actors. Of course I'm a Connie Britton fan. I also enjoy some Hayden Panettiere once in a while too, though right now I have to say I'm most invested in Scarlett's storyline right now. (Probably because I can live vicariously through her and pretend I'm about to become a superstar.)

I don't know that I can pinpoint exactly what I love about this show. It's just so SHINY. And I'm just so INTO IT.

I've heard rumors that Nashville's future is questionable at the moment, and I will be HEARTBROKEN if it gets canceled. Nashville is the only show this season making me bouncy and impatient, so my new mission in life might be to make as many people watch it as possible. Go! Watch! Sing! Make merry! (Pretty please? For me?)

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of Hayden but I actually really like her on this show-although something about the way her mouth doesn't really seem to open properly is kind of annoying. And of course I adore the fabulous Connie Britton-"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of Hayden-neutral, but I get what you mean about the mouth! Of course I started watching because of Connie Britton, but I've quickly become sucked in, especially by the music... I will be so sad if the show gets canceled. So sad.

      Delete
  2. I’m glad other people are enjoying Nashville as much as I am. And you’re right; the show is doing a great job with the music and the casting. I’m going to miss tonight’s episode because I’ll be working late at DISH, but a new actress will debut, Kimberly Williams-Paisley. Have you heard of her? She’s Brad Paisley’s wife, and I’m excited to see her. I already have my Hopper set to auto-record Nashville with the other big four prime time network shows using Primetime Anytime, so I can watch the episode as soon as I’m off work. I can’t wait to see Williams-Paisley. Apparently she’s Teddy’s ex-girlfriend, and she’s going to ruffle Connie Britton’s feathers a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SQUEE! I'm glad to hear that other people are loving the show. It gives me hope that it will stick around.

      I haven't heard of Kimberly Williams-Paisley, but now I'm excited if the ex-girlfriend storyline comes out. If Rayna gets a steamy ex-lover, why can't Teddy? To be honest I don't usually watch previews of upcoming episodes--part of the magic for me is the surprise in the actual viewing! I also don't have a TV, so I get to rely on Hulu/Netflix for all my television watching. But come tomorrow I will be right on that! (Right after I finish my NaNo quota, at least...)

      Delete