October 31, 2012

Halloween? What? (NaNoWriMo 2012)

It's Halloween. What with graduate school eating my brains and Hurricane Sandy eating my sanity (though it pretty much missed my area, which was a relief), the end of the month really snuck up on me. While I'd like to be the sort of person who goes crazy with the costumes (today in class we had a great Cheshire Cat paired with an excellent Alice in Zombieland), I have to admit that I'm too lazy to put together something impressive. I haven't really celebrated the holiday (except for buying deeply discounted candy the day after) in ten years or so. But Halloween is also notable for something other than sexy witches and candy corn. That's right: it's the day before NaNoWriMo.

I've posted about NaNo tons of times. This will be my sixth year participating, and this year I've decided to switch it up a little. The normal person would think that writing 50,000 words in 30 days is more than enough to pile on top of graduate school, work, soccer, sleep... The normal person would be entirely correct. But who cares about normal? This year I'm going to be a hot mess, because this year I am doing two things I've never done before.

1. I'm writing contemporary realism. I love contemporary realism (I'm a huge sucker for your typical high school chick flick, although it has to be done well), but I've always been scared off of actually writing it. Mostly it's because I don't think I can come up with a plot that hasn't been done hundreds of times already. But this year is the year I put my foot down. NaNo is the place for cliches! NaNo is the time for exceptionally hot jocks and cute nerdy girls! In short, I can do anything I want in NaNo, and this year I'm writing contemporary, damn it.

2. I'm writing two novels. This is the truly crazy part, but I'm hoping to be able to pull it off. I've written 80,000+ before in NaNo. I have a good handle on at least one of my WIPs (the decidedly NOT contemporary one), so hopefully that will help when the words refuse to come. I've decided to spent the scant hours remaining before the flag goes up sketching out at least a brief outline of where I hope these things are going. And...we'll see.

I haven't totally figured out how blogging is going to fit in to my November schedule. I'm hoping to post word count updates from time to time. Maybe I'll make my WIPs duel each other. "Operation Wish-work" versus "Pop Rocks and Candy Pops." Hopefully I'll get enough sleep to keep functioning on at least zombie level.

Gulp. Insanity commencing at midnight. Forget witches and goblins. It's the writers you really need to be worried about.

Operation Wish-Work: 0
Pop Rocks and Candy Pops: 0

3 comments:

  1. "Forget witches and goblins. It's the writers you really need to be worried about."

    Oh yes!

    Good luck with your mad endeavour; I mean even madder than the usual Nano. I'm aiming at 50k on a single story and as usual I have no idea if I'll make it.

    I'll look forward to hearing how the duelling stories pan out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far I'm pretty much on track...? I mean, as long as I can keep myself from watching the next episode of Nashville until I finish today's quota. Good luck with yours!

      Delete