October 17, 2012

Cheating

I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I don't often talk specifics on works in progress, so I'm sure many of you won't know this, but my latest WIP is YA fantasy. My recently-completed WIP is YA fantasy. When I think of my favorite novels, my shelves are dominated by fantasy. In short, I am kind of a fantasy girl through and through.

...Except yesterday, I found myself scribbling out a sassy contemporary piece for my creative writing class and feeling pretty darn chuffed about it. I had a lot of fun with that exercise, more than I expected to. As I told a few friends, contemporary feels like the fun flirty mistress I'm cheating on fantasy with.

So now I'm not sure whether to pursue the contemporary or not. This isn't a question of whether I'm giving up on my current WIP (I'm not). It's more of an...I don't know. I read some YA contemporary, but not a lot. While I've been drawn to the genre before, I've ultimately held back because I find myself unable to think up a suitably inventive premise. Mostly when I try to come up with a fun, flirty contemporary, I get your standard dork-meets-jock/love triangle/Sarah-Dessen-spin-off. Which are fun, don't get me wrong. But different enough to grab an agent or editor's attention? I don't know about that.

Maybe that's why I spend so much time with fantasy--because I feel like anything could happen. In contemporary, I feel unoriginal and limited.

All this goes to say that while I'm not choosing one over the other, I don't know if I have enough time to work on both. Grad school is kind of kicking my butt as far as the free time goes, and when you add on work, soccer, trying to eat right... Well. Let's just say that the writing time does not spread bountifully as far as the eye can see. Plus, I've got to pick something to do for NaNoWriMo.

Any suggestions? And if you have a spare plot idea lying around for a YA contemporary, I'd love to hear it...

2 comments:

  1. Totally off topic, but you sometimes blog about music, so I thought I'd share maybe the most incredible music video I've ever seen. Made by an indie artist named Kina Grannis, done completely in stop motion photography (like the claymation, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer stuff) with 288,000 jelly beans and Kina. Even Kina is in stop motion. The video looks at first glance like she is singing and playing guitar and the graphics were superimposed by computer later, but in fact Kina was in each jelly bean shot and her "singing" and guitar "playing" visuals are a montage of countless stop action stills, with audio superimposed. Check it out, it's amazing stuff. Let me know what you think.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IOu0DuxFAT0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that video! When I first discovered it I watched it five or six times in a row...

      Delete