September 28, 2012

A little moment of squee

Tonight I went to the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award Ceremony. It was the most entertaining awards ceremony I've ever been to (although who am I kidding -- I've never been to a real awards ceremony before). All the acceptance speeches were on the scale from amusing to downright hilarious, and there were tuxedo-styled chocolate-covered strawberries afterward. What more could a girl ask for?

The squeeage comes from the fact that I met Elizabeth Wein tonight (of Code Name Verity fame), and I couldn't think of anything to say other than "I read your book. It was amazing." (I was exceptionally forgettable, I'm sure. But I did get a signed book out of the deal.) Most of the time I spent staring at her, wondering how on earth could such an amazing book have come from such a normal-looking person. I'm serious. How could that possibly have come from her head, which appears to be such a normal head?!?

I suppose I can take heart in the fact that if a normal-looking person can write an extraordinary book, then perhaps there's hope for me. Someday.

3 comments:

  1. You were the only Rebecca there!

    I tried to comment last night at half past midnight but failed, so I'm trying again this morning. Because I am THAT SAD A PERSON that I had to google myself and see if there were any pictures up, and I found your blog, and you really can't imagine how lovely it is to think that someone was so excited about meeting you they went home and made it public.

    I am only normal-looking on the outside, which is probably true for you as well. And if it's any consolation, I was 45 when I started writing this book, and couldn't POSSIBLY have written it before that. Like any skill, the writing improves the more you practice it. There is hope for us all!

    best wishes and thanks so much for coming along last night!

    xx

    e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I will be taking your words to heart, as I am currently in the between-writing-projects phase and trying to figure out how to start something new and (hopefully) improve upon my last.

      I had a great time listening to everyone's acceptance speeches - you were all so funny. And I truly did adore your book. It's the first of yours that I read. Now I'm planning on reading the rest of your oevre, and I can't wait to see what you do next as well.

      Best,

      Rebecca

      Delete
  2. we're in the same writing place, then... I just finished a book last night. It's like standing on the edge of an abyss.

    thanks again, and keep working!

    best, e wein

    ReplyDelete