April 25, 2012

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

This is what you should all be watching:



Are you done with that? Good. Now go watch all the rest.

Done with all that? Really? Good. Now let's talk.

When Hank Green first announced this project, I admit, I was really skeptical. Why? Well... There just seemed to be so many ways to screw Pride and Prejudice up. Royally. Plus, why would you want to take away the pretty dresses? The horseback riding? All the repressed FEEEEELINGGSS only hinted at by smoldering glances and the occasional touch of the hand?

But of course I watched it. And then I followed Lizzie Bennet's tumblr and twitter, as well as those of her sisters. This is not to mention the twitter accounts of certain other characters, Bing Lee and William Darcy among them. So I can say with confidence: if you love Pride and Prejudice, you should be watching this too!

Thus far I really respect the intelligent, considered approach that Hank Green and his partner for this project, Bernie Su, have taken with regard to updating the story for the 21st century. They've both blogged (tumbld?) about the biggest difference to date: the nonexistence of two Bennet daughters, Kitty and Mary. While my heartstrings are wrenched, I can't disagree with Hank and Bernie's reasons for the change. It makes sense. That Hank and Bernie are committed to staying true to the spirit of the original story even as they mess with its modernization aspects is a big part of the reason I am a huge fan of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.

The other part (the part that fills me with glee) is that now I get to imagine that Lizzie Bennet really is a 24-year-old graduate student who I really could be bestest bestest friends with. That William Darcy really does exist, exchanging peevish tweets with Caroline Lee. That I could, any day, step into this world with these characters, because what the creators of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries have done is dropped all of Austen's wonderful characters straight into my world.

So. Huge fan here. Just saying. Can't wait for the next episode (and dearly, dearly hoping that this vlog series continues through the whole book).

0 comments:

Post a Comment