March 28, 2012

Put your money where your thoughts are

I don't make many entertainment purchases. Being that I am still a person of the just-post-college variety, (thankfully) employed but not at an impressive salary level, I watch my budget. Most of the movies I watch are $1 rentals, not seen in the theaters. The vast, vast majority of the books I read are borrowed from the library.

BUT! Occasionally I can scrounge up enough couch change to afford a book or two once in a while. The question then becomes, "How do I choose between the thousands of delicious books out there?" Well, in my case it's fairly simple: I choose the ones that haunt my thoughts, that come to mind weeks (even months) after I first encountered them. I choose the things that make me smile and tickle my brain when I least expect them to reappear.

In the past week I've made two purchases, both on the strength of the glowing reminiscences I often found myself falling into:

Grave Mercy, by Robin LaFevers. I read an ARC of this book over a month ago and it's been in the back of my mind ever since. I mean, assassin nuns! How could you not love it? In all seriousness, Grave Mercy set off a number of my squee buttons. Powerful female protagonist? Check. Intelligent, loyal, sexy love interest? Check. I'm a big fan of well done historical novels as well, so all of the political court intrigue and horses and crossbows made me especially happy. There were a few moments where I felt that Ismae (the main character) wasn't seeing something that was obvious to me as the reader... But altogether this book was chewy and rich. After a month of fighting against it, I gave up and preordered it. I'll probably write up a full review after I do a reread. Suffice to say that Grave Mercy is great. I highly recommend it. I can't wait for the next book in the series, even if Ismae and Duval will not return as the main characters. (Keeping my fingers crossed that they make significant guest appearances...)

Okay, so I cheated. My second purchase is NOT a book, but is nearly as good. I rented Crazy, Stupid, Love in November. November! And after four months of giddy smiles over Steve Carell's bumbling, Emma Stone's through-the-roof level of adorableness, and (last but certainly not least) Ryan Gosling's smoking body, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the DVD. Let this be a message to everyone who has not yet seen this movie: SEE IT. (With the standard disclaimer that if you don't like quirky comedy, you may not like this, blah blah blah.) It's romantic, it's comedic. It's light with shades of depth. And there's Ryan Gosling, everyone's favorite sexy-dude. I had so much fun, and I fully expect to enjoy it just as much the second (and third, and fourth) time around. (Also, Josh Groban has a cameo as a douche. If that's your kind of thing.)

So, what's the point of this post? Mostly that people on a budget don't buy what looks hot. They buy what stands the test of time. I don't purchase on a whim; I let things stew. (And stew. And stew.) I am exceptionally pleased by the excellence of what I will be receiving in the mail by the by. Now the only question becomes: will I really be able to hold out until my revision is done before allowing myself the pleasure of Ryan Gosling's abs? (The answer, I suspect, is a resounding NO.)

March 27 - Day 2. Word count: 1,171. Total: 3,264.

1 comment:

  1. After reading your review of Grave Mercy, I resolved to pick it up from the library, but when I went into the kitchen at work today, there was an ARC on the free table! So I grabbed it, and will read ASAP :) Thanks for the recommendation! - Greta

    ReplyDelete