May 19, 2011

Diagnose Me

I have the blahs. That gorgeous cover of the latest YA AWESOME? Eh. The best cyber-zombie-were-cow-mermaid series to hit the streets? Been there, done that. Reading? So over it.

In short, friends, I haven't felt like reading much lately. But that might be because I haven't felt like reading young adult fiction lately. At some point, they all start to blur together. Take the last book I read (title and author redacted). There was nothing inherently wrong with it. The writing didn't make me want to roll my eyes and send the author back to kindergarten. The romance didn't make me want to throw up. I wasn't immediately able to detail the entire plot from start to finish off of the jacket flap. But altogether, it was pretty much meh.

Is there something wrong with the genre, or something wrong with me? Is it even (gasp) possible that I've finally gotten tired of young adult altogether?

I hope not. There's cool stuff going on in there. It's just that I haven't read a really cool book in a very long time. Anyone else feeling the YA fatigue? What are you doing to snap yourself out of it?

3 comments:

  1. This happens to me too. Have you tried rereading your favorite books? Or do you want to try a different genre? Mystery, fantasy, romance, whatever aspect normally appeals to you in a YA novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookworm, you took the words right off my keyboard :) Re-reading favorites always gets me out of funks (reading or otherwise). I've been reading tons of middle grade lately while revising a MG WIP, but switched to YA for book club and that started a YA streak. Apparently I just go in spurts, maybe you're the same way. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice, both of you. Thanks! I agree -- the best thing for me is probably to get myself away from YA for a while. Luckily, my to-read list on Goodreads is about a mile deep and made up of a multitude of genres...

    ReplyDelete