December 15, 2010

November (Belatedly)

Yeah, this is late. It's almost time to be doing a December retrospective, but still! I read some really good books in November. Here's what I'd recommend:

Lips Touch: Three Times, by Laini Taylor.
Eerie, otherworldly stories. The first one I didn't love that much, but the second and third! My goodness, this is the kind of imagination that I wish I could steal. And the illustrations are gorgeous.

Revolution, by Jennifer Donnelly.
This book has been getting a lot of attention. So there's history, foreign lands, some adventures... There's some solid French history, and a surprising amount of very interesting music history. Plus, the classic story of personal trauma and recovery. This book is in turns heart-tugging, entertaining, and informative.

A Spy in the House, by Y. S. Lee.
Another historical book, this one about Victorian England. This book also illuminates a part of history I had never even thought about (which I am not going to talk about, because it's kind of spoiler-y). But there's a feisty heroine, a delicious hero, some mystery and intrigue and plenty more to keep me waiting for the next book in the series.

Mistwood, by Leah Cypess.
Wow. Wow... This book may not be the best one I read in November, but it was certainly the one that surpassed my expectations by the most. I applaud Leah Cypess by coming out with original, compelling mythology, and a story I just could not call for much of the book. Unexpected, with some awesome girl kick-assery.

Well, that's it for me for November. All of these books are young adult... Hmm... (I don't read only young adult, I promise...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment