November 2, 2010

October (Disappointedly)

Is it weird that I'm kind of disappointed in October? I read books, I know I did...but for some reason they're just not sticking in my mind the way they should. 20 books down in October, and here are the ones you should think about:

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonson.
Adorable, I say. About growing older and learning new worlds. Very British, too.

A Conspiracy of Kings, by Megan Whalen Turner.
Yay, Megan Whalen Turner! This book continues her series "The Queen's Thief," and of course it's full of intrigue and characters who are never doing exactly what you think they're doing...

Prisoners in the Palace, by Michaela MacColl.
I reviewed this book here. In short, some good old-fashioned mystery and intrigue, focused on the real-life Princess (later Queen) Victoria. Very well detailed world, sympathetic (if not absolutely original) characters, and some fun too.

More later. One hopes that this slight slump is not a staying thing.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love Megan Whalen Turner. If you have a copy, can I borrow it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ntsang

    You could borrow it...if I had a copy. :( I got it out from the library.

    ReplyDelete