October 12, 2010

September (Coughingly)

Yes, that's right. I have a nasty cold, and it is beating the snot out of me, keeping me home from work and from eating and breathing like a normal person...

In the meantime, September! I read 23 books, and would especially recommend the following:

House of Many Ways, by Diana Wynne Jones.
Come on, it's Diana Wynne Jones! What's not to love? This is the third book involving Wizard Howl, and I didn't know it existed until about two months ago. More Howl is always appreciated.

 Blameless, by Gail Carriger.
I think we all know how much I like Gail Carriger. Come on -- vampires, werewolves, Victorians and parasols? It's really a no-brainer. I got the chance to see Gail Carriger, and she is awesome. Very, very fun and lovely.


Shades of Milk and Honey, by Mary Robinette Kowal.
This one is blurbed as Jane Eyre + Beauty & the Beast + Jane Austen. I'm not sure it's quite as awesome as you'd expect that combination to be, but it certainly comes close.


Quatrain, by Sharon Shinn.
I reviewed this book here. Put simply, this book is for everyone who has read Sharon Shinn, and everyone who hasn't. Especially for people who enjoy well-built science fiction and fantasy worlds.

Room, by Emma Donoghue.
There were moments where I wasn't sure I could finish the book, although I'm glad I did. Definitely recommended for those who enjoyed Elizabeth Scott's Living Dead Girl, although this one is written for an older audience.

Let's Take the Long Way Home, by Gail Caldwell.
The subtitle of this book is "a memoir of friendship," and that is exactly what it is. A story of deep, lasting friendship, and the profound bond one can have with one's dog. If you like friends or dogs, this book, and its sadness, poignancy, bittersweet hope, is for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment