October 7, 2010

NaNoWriMo

It's that time of year again, isn't it? The scent of wet leaves is in the air, umbrellas are coming out, and look! Is that pumpkin pie on the distant horizon? Not to mention, of course, that something is creeping quite quickly up on us.

Ah, NaNoWriMo. For those who know, this needs no further explanation. For those who don't, here's a quick summary: Thousands of people write novels in November. (Or, you know, draftish things vaguely shaped like novels.) This will be my fourth year participating, and what a year! I have big plans for the next month, plans that involve my first ever outline-before-November-has-begun. (Which, as you know, means things have gotten serious.)

Yes, friends -- that thing called progress has been eluding me for the past few months, as many readers know. But no more! I have picked my spot, squarely in the plotter camp, and I intend to remain, scribbling away on my outline for the rest of the month. (Let's hope the outline doesn't dwarf the actual draft, once that gets going...) Once November begins, beware! The apocalypse may be nigh, because I (for real now, seriously, absolutely, with no holds barred and no return) will be starting (and finishing) a complete novel draft by November 30. You think I've been serious before, but that just goes to show you that nothing beats serious in November.

Who's with me? (In text, it doesn't quite have that level of manic energy that Gaston had in the mob scene, but I suppose it will have to do.)

PS: Please come be my friend! I'll cheer you on! I'm "aandune" on the website, a name chosen before I had any idea I'd be starting a blog ever, so please forgive me. I'll be keeping an eye out for each and every one of you.

3 comments:

  1. I'll friend you! It'll be my 2nd year and I'm totally excited! My plot is soooo slow going; I'm not sure where my story is going to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've buddied you but now I have to remember who aandune is!

    Last year I did a lot of planning, starting in August. This year, not so much. I've got plot holes I can't work out and I wonder if I should go for a totally different story but nothing comes to mind. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm excited...

    @fairyhedgehog - I know! I was trying to change my username but that's something the OLL hasn't gotten around to adding yet...

    ReplyDelete