October 28, 2010

Naked Books

(This only applies to hardcovers.)

How many of you take off the jackets of your book as you read? I never used to, but then I started thinking about things like longevity of the jackets, and how I wanted them to line up prettily on my custom-made bookcases someday, so I started taking off the jackets of books while I read them, replacing them once I'd finished. And boy, what a difference.

For those of you who are not in the habit of defrocking your books, I have to tell you: You should be. Some books, admittedly, are boring on the inside. But many books have been meticulously designed (both the jacket and the cover), so that once you remove the jacket, an entirely different side of the story is revealed. Maybe you can think of it as books going out to a party. When in the bookstore, they dress to impress. Every little detail counts, and everything is designed to grab attention and keep it. But once they get home the jacket comes off, and you are sometimes met with a shockingly different look. (But keep in mind -- this look is also designed to attract, even if it's not quite as flashy.)

I say it's interesting (but not essential) to defrock your books. What say you?

9 comments:

  1. I take my covers off because I often read from a supine position and the jackets slide off as I read anyway. The only reason I keep them on is because I can use it as a built in bookmark. The Harry Potter books are pretty without their awesome covers, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do it! They tend to slide off on me too, so I read without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually only take them off when the book is a real chunkster because I feel like it gets in the way. (Ooh - or if it's a library book and the jacket is all plasticy.) Although - you've made me think about this. Maybe in the future I'll take them off, then dress them up again when they go back on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really depends for me. Smaller books I leave them on (and use the inside flap as a bookmark. heh. Oops. Bigger books I take them off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried that! I really hate hardbacks but I've got quite a few, mostly when I couldn't wait for the paperback to come out. I often get them as (hinted at) Christmas presents.

    I'll have to look and see what's under the covers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I defrock. If it's a hardbook, it's likely I purchased it in that format, because I plan on keeping it. Older books never used to supply bookjackets. So it makes sense publishers would still keep up with that practice, keeping the allure without a jacket. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the different reasons people have for defrocking/not are so interesting! Since I discovered how different the covers often are, I take jackets off everything just in case the covers are equally (or even more) awesome. But big books vs. smaller books, different reading positions leading to jacket slippage -- I hadn't even thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always take off the jackets, mostly because they get in the way and I'm likely to damage them during reading :) And it's always such a nice surprise when the cover under the jacket is cool or different, like opening a present.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always, always take the jackets off. It seems like they always rip or get creased up when I don't and then it becomes an eyesore on my shelf. One of my favorite things about hardcovers is that they can take a beating and still look nice.

    ReplyDelete