September 3, 2010

August (Exhaustedly)

So I read 28 books last month. Not all of them were that good, sadly. But some of them really were. Like...

Rules of Attraction, by Simone Elkeles.
I reviewed this book here. Basically, it comes down to this: If you like your fiction young adult, a little gritty, and contemporary, Simone Elkeles is your girl. Period.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth & The Dead-Tossed Waves, by Carrie Ryan.
I said this once before, and I'll say it again. If you're going to pick one zombie book to read (just one), it should be The Forest of Hands and Teeth. And that voice! Carrie Ryan definitely jumped onto my new favorite author list this year, which really reminds me that I should update my Readerly Recommends page... Anyway, zombies? Weird, cult-like religion? Post-apocalyptic worlds? And it's young adult? What I love the most about these books is the writing. Plenty of people come up with interesting ideas. Not all of them can really tell a story.

Stolen, by Lucy Christopher.
A difficult book because of its subject matter, but beautiful. The writing is just lovely.

Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins.
Enough said.

2 comments:

  1. I so want to read Mockinjay but I'm waiting for my copy to arrive at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to be a while... Happy reading-other-books while you're waiting!

    ReplyDelete