July 26, 2010

Well, hello

Well, hello! There are far more of you out there than there used to be. If I were in a room with all of you, I'd probably be scratching my head and wondering how we all fit in there! Since there was such an enormous leap over this past weekend (due to the recent Got Books? event), I thought today would be a good time to do a few introductions.

Hi, I'm Rebecca Wells. (Not that Rebecca Wells. In case you were wondering.) I love many things in life, especially reading and writing, hence the blog. Here, I talk a little about writing and a lot about reading, among other things. I've been blogging here since December, but I still consider Elephants On Trapezes a work in progress - I tend to fiddle with things: my pages, features, formats... If you have any recommendations for things you like to see on your favorite blogs, I'd love to hear them.

Astute readers may notice that Elephants On Trapezes has been bereft of book reviews recently. There's a reason for that. I graduated from college in May and in lieu of immediate job hunting, I chose to attend the Denver Publishing Institute, where I have been for the past two weeks (and will remain for the next). Since I took a plane out to Colorado, I was sadly limited in the number of books I brought with me. (Also, this program is intense - we're in class from 9-5, which leaves rather less time for reading.)

All this means I haven't been reading nearly as much as I usually do. Which means less book reviews on this blog than there usually are, especially since I don't have a library membership here in Denver. I expect the number of book reviews on this blog to pick up significantly in two weeks, once I'm back home. In the meantime, you can expect to hear some thoughts about reading and writing, as well as some of the fascinating things I'm learning here at DPI.

I think that's all for now. I've been checking out all your book recommendations from the Got Books? event. They are wildly diverse and pretty awesome, all around - so awesome I'll probably write a whole post about them in a few days. Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca! Thanks for the introduction, I'm a new follower :-)

    I just wanted to ask the obvious: why did you call your blog Elephants on Trapezes? Is there any background story or just an inspiration how you had the idea? I'd love to hear it :-)

    I'm Stella, I also have a book blog, you can find me at Ex Libris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I am new around here too and think I will stick around. Your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the title of your blog. Funny image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rebecca. Another new follower! Glad you could ease us in with a nice introduction :) Good luck at DPI!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca, thanks for that short intro, as I'm yet another new arrival from the Got Books event! Your blog title was by far the most fun, and I'm looking forward to upcoming posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all!

    About the title of my blog... I thought about this for a while, but couldn't come up with a satisfactory way to answer the question. I suppose the first thing to know is that Elephants On Trapezes was not a book blog when I started it. Originally, it was a "whatever I want to throw down" blog - only through the aforementioned fiddling did its true nature (that of a book/reading/writing blog) emerge. So when I was thinking up names way back when, I was thinking fun/quirky/interesting, rather than book-related. One of my friends helped me narrow a list of five or so down to Elephants On Trapezes, which is what it ended up being.

    So - the most succinct answer is "I'm not sure," although the reason it's not a specifically book-related title is that originally, it wasn't a book-focused blog.

    And that's the anticlimactic story of how Elephants On Trapezes got its name.

    Stella - love your blog! I've been a follower for a few months now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a new follower too and I have to say (as it has been said before) that I adore you're blog title it is funny and sticks with you^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm another new follower who found you through the Got Books? event. Love your blog name! Even if it's not attached to a book-related story, it's still an awesome name!

    ReplyDelete