July 10, 2010

Denver Publishing Institute: The Bookshelf

I'm anticipating many more posts having to do with the Denver Publishing Institute, all of which will have much more substance than this. Why? Because I haven't done anything yet. Well, I flew out and unpacked. Bought some groceries. That sort of stuff.

I will share the books I chose to bring, though. I'm anticipating not having much time, since I'll likely be occupied by assignments and networking (I think that's what they call it once you're out of school) and such. The only thing they have in common? I haven't yet read any of them. No tried-and-true favorites. No comfort books. Just the abyss of the unknown. Which in the end is what this month is all about, right?

1. Changeless, by Gail Carriger. I've talked about how much I am newly in love with Carriger already - this is the sequel to the first book, and I've been slowly meandering through it.

2. The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin. Apparently this person is famous? Or something? Just kidding, I know all about how much people like Le Guin. A friend recommended this book specifically to me, and I ended up paying $1 for it at a library book sale.

3. The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, by Victor Hugo. I am not completely sure why the title was changed from Notre-Dame de Paris, but okay. Les Miserables is possibly my favorite book of all time, so I figured it was time to read some more Hugo.

4. The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky. My dad gave me a lovely old edition of this for Christmas...and I still haven't gotten past the first few chapters.

5. Duino Elegies and the Sonnets to Orpheus, by Rainer Maria Rilke. Have read a few things by Rilke, and was drawn to this one because of Orpheus. I am always a sucker for mythology.

6. The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery. Got a gift card, made a pledge to use it on something I hadn't already read. I'm anticipating quirkiness and some deep thought.

7. The Dream of Perpetual Motion, by Dexter Palmer. I received this forever ago from Goodreads First Reads, and just haven't finished it. Which is ridiculous, since I need to review it before I can get another First Reads book...

8. Supercapitalism: The Transformation of Business, Democracy, and Everyday Life, by Robert B. Reich. This one's on loan from my roommate. You may not know that I've always described myself as an economics major, born too late. (As in, it was in my second to last year that I discovered a love for economics...and it was too late to change.) I've since resigned myself to making it a hobby, although there's a sneaking half-plan to get a Masters degree in economics in later life.

9. Free to Choose: A Personal Statement, by Milton and Rose Friedman. See above.

10. Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond. My dad gave me this one even before he gave me Karamazov, and I haven't finished it. YAR!

11. The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman. I wasn't going to bring this one. Really, I wasn't. I thought ten was the perfect number (probably since we've been conditioned to think that in this base-10 society). But then I was talking with my brother and I saw it on his shelf, and it had only recently been added to my humongous to-read list on Goodreads, and... Well, one thing led to another, and now it's here. Ta da!

Lots of dry books that likely appeal to few people other than myself, when taken collectively. But there you have it - that's what I'll be occupying myself with while in Denver. Making this list also reminded me that I haven't done a quarterly yet for April-June. I'll have to get that done in the next few days...and I'll likely move to monthly features after that, since I tend to overwhelm even myself with recommendations if I have to hold back so long.

Also, in case you haven't been eying my sidebar hungrily, I will be participating in two upcoming blogfests: Got Books? (July 23-24), and BlogFest 2010 (September 10-12). Stay tuned for more news on those. Haven't quite made up my mind on what to give away... Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been on busy, reading lady. :)

    I just wanted to let you know that I changed blog domains, so my new domain name is: www.kim-franklin.com

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete