April 6, 2010

What am I?

The time has come for a moment of truth. I've been having a lot of fun poking around the blogging world, discovering this and that, getting to know a bunch of like-minded people, and imparting my book taste to the (few) people who actually pay attention to me. It's been an enlightening few months.

But the time has come for something more. Something new and shiny and even better, I daresay. The time has come to choose my colors.

KarenG has been talking about this recently in an enlightening series of posts: pick what your blog is about, and stick with it. I've been dabbling. My interests are far flung, and they don't always overlap, and that makes Elephants On Trapezes... scattered, to say the least. While I consider all of my interests, from soccer to Rwanda to choir, to be blog-worthy, I am choosing, from this moment forth, to blog chiefly about writing.

Why? Because I was fooling around during lecture today and looking at all the writing I have saved on my laptop (some pieces dating back to 2001, if you can believe it), and remembering with a fresh mind that what I want to do - what I've always wanted to do - is be a writer. And if I'm going to do that, it's really time to get off my butt (or on my butt in front of a computer, as the case may be) and make it happen. Dream the impossible dream.

So, to orient more of my life in the direction of writing, I'm turning this blog's helm towards our noble ink-stained craft. Less about pizza. More about writing, reading, and the intersection of the two, with minimal (though still present) interludes about the rest of the world.

Like the process of redesigning my blog, this transformation will take time. It's hard to say exactly what will stay and what will go, or what my blog posts will start to consist of. But here's to now as a time for new beginnings.

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. Awww, you've been listening. I'm flattered. And I adore this background! It makes me happy just visiting here. I look forward to seeing how your blog develops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! And I agree with Karen. I love your blog background!! But I also understand it's so hard to choose sometimes. :)

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Karen: Yep, been listening. I've been mulling over a redesign for some time, and then it all seemed to come together at once: your posts, Blogger's new templates, my epiphany about writing... Suddenly everything started screaming: "It's go time!" So thanks for being a part of that. :)

    @Kimberly: I love your blog! I've actually been a lurker for some time, but as part of my new overhaul, I've pledged to myself to try to write things when I think them. So you'll be hearing more from me.

    I'm glad you two like the background. I like it too... a lot... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you said, "choose your colours" I thought you meant the blog background! Which is rather amazing.

    I'll be interested to see how this develops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! (About the blog background...) It's actually pretty much the default of one of the new templates that Blogger recently unveiled, but I liked it so much that I figured - why mess with it?

    I'm excited about the new blog direction too. Hope you'll like it! :)

    ReplyDelete