March 11, 2010

Ah, well

The votes (and the blood test) are in, and the answer is: mono.

My friends, mono is something I wish on no one. It sucks like no other. It's like having all those nasty childhood diseases that kept you vomiting and itchy and out of school for weeks on end, all at once. Blech.

At least I know that's what it is, and that I don't have, say, a brain tumor. So things could be worse. Anyway, since I went and saw a real live nurse, I can now say I have a real live set of recovery procedures. This involves: too much Advil, my body weight in liquids, and lying around in bed (basically, skipping class). It's nice to have nurse-sanctioned class cuttage, but this week was not the best week for that - now I've got a midterm and a paper I'll have to make up once I can walk again.

So still, the Rwanda post will have to wait until my brain comes down from its feverish heights and decides to work without hurting. Instead I present today's best scavengings of the bloggy world. (See? Since I'm doing all the work, you don't have to do it. Just come here for all the best in internet news!)

First, Terrible Yellow Eyes, a tribute to Maurice Sendak and Where the Wild Things Are. If you were ever a fan of the book or the movie or the man, you should check this project out. There are some gorgeous pieces in there.

Second, Shaun Hutchinson, someone I really know nothing about but now will be following with interest, has a short series of posts on the importance of sexuality in young adult literature. The first post is here, the second here, and I believe the third will be coming along tomorrow. So far I've been really impressed with his candor and eloquence when discussing some difficult topics. I am an excessive lover of books myself, but I have in the past had trouble explaining exactly how and why books are dear, dear friends - I can only say, pretty much, that they are. But Shaun has been able to bring to the table something I have not. He's been able to articulate in very real terms why certain things in literature matter quite a lot in the lives of young folk. And that, in a world of people who read in decreasing frequencies, is commendable.

Third, utter frivolity:

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the mono. I had that in 8th grade but being out of 8th grade for 3 weeks and being out of college, are worlds apart in seriousness. Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I'm planning to! Of course my body might have other plans. Right now I'm just drinking a lot and napping a lot and feeling lazy but feeling good about not having to feel guilty about it... etc.

    ReplyDelete