January 9, 2010

Mash #1

In lieu of a (semi) organized post, I have today a mash of things in progress. Since I last posted, I have done a few things.

First off, I contracted a cold. Anyone who has had a cold (which I assume is most of you) knows that these are miserable beasts, characterized by red and runny noses, sore throats, and lost voices. Perhaps it is the fate of all those people returning from Hawaii: at the end of a vacation, thou shalt fall ill. The good news is that I expect to be over it by the time the new semester starts. Everyone knows that as miserable colds are, there is nothing as awful as sniffling one's way through lectures, glancing about apologetically every few minutes because you can't help it - you finished your last (third!) package of Kleenex two classes ago. Hopefully, I can escape that fate.

I also started reading The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. This is a much-recommended book, and one I expect to finish with in a month or so. Maybe. Dostoyevsky is one of those Old Master kinds of writers, like Victor Hugo and Charles Dickens, who you just can't read in one (or a few) sittings. Like rich chocolate, such authors are best enjoyed slowly, in small portions. Thus far (five days after beginning), I've made it to page 37. Which, in this edition, is the beginning of Chapter One. So far I'm enjoying it, but I anticipate a few chapters spent slogging my way through one page at a time before retiring to something light and fuzzy for the rest of the evening.

Speaking of things light and fuzzy, I am definitely looking forward to reading this book. Even if it turns out to be a disappointment (and I think there's a decent chance it will), I'm still sufficiently enamored of Castle to give it a shot.

And speaking of television, I have to take a moment here to be explicitly disappointed about all my favorite shows breaking at the same time. Yes, that's the way the world works. But just when I was catching up to Bones? Really?

3 comments:

  1. What do you mean your shows are breaking?? Bones?? :( I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As in taking a break, not breaking apart. Although as I read back, that's totally what it sounded like. Ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! Haha okay I get it. Yeah until April or something right?? :( Tragic.

    ReplyDelete